The following is a guest blog written by ETK Brand Ambassador, Nikole Fraser.
Whether you are an early riser or a late snoozer, these simple (yet effective) morning habits are sure to get your day started off right. This may seem like a lot of extra “to-do’s” in an already busy morning, but fear not.
You will only need a maximum of 10 extra minutes to do it all. Taking just a few minutes to cultivate a morning that will set your day up for success is definitely worth it, I promise! Even if it’s not Friday, this may just be your best day this week 😉
Before you step one foot out of bed – possibly even before you open your eyes – start your day off with a positive affirmation.
What is a “positive affirmation”? It is a short sentence that you say to yourself to help set an intention. It is the practice of positive thinking and self-empowerment, with the intention to achieve success via the affirmation. We are what we think! Choose an affirmation the night before to begin the next morning with. It can be as simple as “I am strong, yet peaceful” or “I am motivated”. Give it a try, and notice at the end of the day what differences it made.
Make your bed
You are setting the tone for an organized and efficient day by doing this. Plus, doesn’t it feel satisfying to see your bed so neat and tidy?
Start your day with a quick, full body stretch
Doing 5-10 “Forward Folds” first thing in the morning is one of the most simple, yet effective, ways to wake up the body and prepare it for the day ahead. Whether your day involves physical activity, or a sedimentary activity (such as driving a vehicle or sitting at a desk), this can be incredibly effective in preventing stiffness and pain throughout the day.
Make the switch from pop to kombucha
This can be a switch made in the morning, or at any point in the day. It’s no secret that pop/soda is harsh on your body. A wonderful alternative is kombucha! It’s all the fun of pop – without any of the guilt! Kombucha contains probiotics, vitamins, glucuronic acids, and antioxidants for your body to love. And to top it all off, if you drink Effervescent Tea Kombucha, you have three outrageously delicious flavours to choose from – Grape, Raspberry, and Ginger Lemonade.
I hope you enjoy trying out some of these simple, yet highly effective morning habits. There is no pressure to do all four of these every day.. Even just implementing one thing, or a few new things may make a noticeable impact!
If you enjoyed this blog, please follow me on social media for more healthy lifestyle content.
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/nikolefraseryoga_wellness (@nikolefraseryoga_wellness)
How to do Forward Folds:
- Begin by standing with your feet hip with apart. Stand tall, and feel your belly button drawing towards your spine as your core engages.
- Inhale and lift your arms into the air, reaching towards the ceiling/sky. Keep your shoulders soft as you do so, and lengthen the spine.
- Exhale as you lower the arms down, and begin to bend forward at the hips. Once your hips can go no farther, continue to lower the rest of the torso towards the ground. Let the neck relax if this is comfortable for you. Your arms and hands are now hanging towards the floor. Please be mindful not to hyperextend the knees – put a tiny bend in them if need be.
- Inhale and slowly roll up to standing, each vertebra at a time.
- Repeat the process by beginning to reach your arms up again as you roll up.
- Reach up with the arms on the final round, and end with the palms together at the center of your heart. Bow the neck for that last bit of gentle stretch.